|University Motto||Stands for purpose|
|President||Jillian Broadbent AO|
|Year of establishment||1951|
|Address||Northfields Ave Wollongong, NSW 2522 Australia|
|City||Wollongong, New South Wales|
|Phone||1300 367 869|
University of Wollongong
The University of Wollongong (abbreviated as UOW) is an Australian public research university located in the coastal city of Wollongong, New South Wales, approximately 80 kilometres south of Sydney.
In 1951, a division of the New South Wales University of Technology (known as the University of New South Wales from 1958) was established in Wollongong for the conduct of diploma courses. In 1961, the Wollongong University College of the University of New South Wales was constituted and the college was officially opened in 1962.
In 1975 the University of Wollongong was established as an independent institution. Since its establishment, the university has conferred more than 120,000 degrees, diplomas and certificates. Its students, originally predominantly from the local Illawarra region, are now from over 140 countries, with international students accounting for more than 30 percent of total.
The University of Wollongong has developed into a multi-campus institution, both domestically and globally. The Wollongong campus, the university's main campus, is on the original site five kilometres north-west of the city centre, and covers an area of 82.4 hectares with 94 permanent buildings.
In addition, there are regional university campuses in Bega, Batemans Bay, Moss Vale and Shoalhaven, as well as three Sydney campuses, including the UOW Sydney Business School, the South Western Sydney campus in Liverpool and Southern Sydney campus in Loftus. Overseas, the university has a presence in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
At the University of Wollongong (UOW) they will continue to focus on offering personalised experiences and outstanding learning environments. We will develop highly sought after graduates who have experienced a research-intensive university, and an intellectually challenging curriculum.We are committed to generating outstanding research and worldclass results. Their objective of earning a place in the top 1% of the world’s universities creates an opportunity to renew and refresh.
The coming period offers major opportunities to:
- Continue the drive to build an outstanding research environment, a strong graduate school and clear incentives to drive research focus and productivity;
- Complete the transfomation of our curriculum linked to student demand, graduate outcomes and use of new technology;
- Invest in our people to collaborate internally and externally to achieve great things;
- Enhance our campuses, and align our facilities to the changes in centres of population, the demand driven system and emerging research priorities;
- Leverage our reputation as a global multi-campus university by growing our off-shore international program and portfolio;
- Work with our partners to create greater levels of innovation and impact, and contribute to the creation of new enterprises;
- Engage with our alumni to build a network for life;
- Maintain an efficient and productive university focussed on adaptability and financial sustainability;
- Aspire to make UOW a destination university and Wollongong a university city.
The University of Wollongong is a Public university located in Wollongong.
The University of Wollongong was founded in 1951.
The current president of University of Wollongong is Jillian Broadbent AO.